Adult Shopping List – First Campout
You don’t have to go overboard on buying things for your first campout. You will need a tent, sleeping bag and air mattress, and may be able to borrow those from a friend. Its an inexpensive way to see if you like camping.
If you know that your son will go through 7 years of Scouting, and you’ll be camping with him, then it may be worth investing in some higher-end gear up-front. Two budgets are given, one is an almost minimum spend budget, the other is a reasonable budget for good quality gear.
The estimated cost column assumes you will buy quality items with an eye toward them lasting for 7 years. Less expensive items can be found. More expensive, more deluxe items are available.
Items that are different from the youth list are:
- More comfortable sleeping pad (2 1/2 inches thick, self inflating), 5.4 R-value (good for winter camping)
- Sturdier boot, lasts longer, supports more weight
- Footbed that makes boot more comfortable
- Tent, Marmot Limelight 2 person is priced.
The Economy Plan is for those who are not sure they will be camping for 7 years, or even 7 months. Its a good start, but you’ll need to replace/supplement many items by October or November. The differences are:
- “have” indicates that you probably have something that will work. It might not be ideal, but it works.
- No Day Pack.
- Sleeping bag is for a warmer temperature range. This is nice in the summer, and you can get a -20 or colder bag for the winter.
- Airbed replaces sleeping pad. very comfortable, but no insulation in the winter.
- You don’t actually need the pump if you have a great set of lungs (but you’ll probably regret not having it.)
- You probably have some sort of boots you can use, or sneakers in the worst case
- Tent is cheap, Walmart has a $40 2 person 4 season backpacking tent that will be a better value if you want to backpack or go winter camping
|Item||Estimated Cost||Economy Plan|
|Sleeping Bag – 0 degrees Farenheit (not Celsius)||$49.99|
|Sleeping bag 30 degrees||$23.58|
|Deluxe Sleeping Pad||$69.99|
|twin 8.75 inch thick airbed matress||$7.97|
|Pump (batteries extra)||$8.96|
|2 Water Bottles||$9.98|
|2 bottles spring water||$2.00|
|Knife, fork and spoon or spork or foon||$2.47|
|3 paper plates, plastic knife, fork spoon||have|
|Flashlight or two||$9.82||have|